Connect with us

Published

on

banner

There’ll be no fuel queues again – Dangote assures Nigerians

Alhaji Aliko Dangote, President, Dangote Group, ‎says the era of fuel queues during yuletide is gone, assuring that increased output from his refinery will fully meet national demand.

Advertisement

‎He gave the assurance on Friday while speaking with State House Correspondents after what he described as a routine meeting with President Bola Tinubu at the State House, Abuja.

‎Dangote said the refinery had notified the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) of its ability to supply 50 million litres of petrol daily, surpassing national consumption needs.

Advertisement

‎He said, ‘Historically, Nigeria has battled fuel queues since 1972. For the first time, we are eliminating those queues, not through imports but by producing locally.

Advertisement

‎“Even when we were servicing the refinery, there were no queues. I can assure you that queues are now history.”

‎Dangote added that neighbouring countries would also benefit, noting that by February 2026, the refinery would supply 15 to 20 million litres above Nigeria’s consumption.

Advertisement

‎He added, “So, we must export. Even our neighbours won’t experience queues because they can buy from us.”

Advertisement

‎Dangote highlighted gains for domestic manufacturers, especially in the plastics sector, which previously spent up to 400 million dollars yearly on imported feedstock.

‎He said the refinery’s long-term plan included expanding to 1.4 million barrels per day by 2028, overtaking India’s Reliance refinery, currently the world’s largest at 1.25 million barrels daily.

Advertisement

‎“We have already signed the necessary agreements. Construction piling begins before the end of January, and we will deliver on schedule,” the business mogul said.

‎He also disclosed plans to raise urea production to 12 million tonnes yearly, positioning Nigeria ahead of Russia and Qatar as the world’s biggest producer.

Advertisement

‎Dangote added, “Our goal is to use our fertiliser company to supply the entire African continent.”

‎Responding to questions on the recent drop in petrol and diesel prices, he attributed it to increased competition and reduced smuggling.

Advertisement

‎He said, “Prices are going down because we must compete with imports. Luckily, smuggling has dropped significantly, though not completely.”

‎Dangote stressed that the refinery was built for long-term value, not short-term profit.

Advertisement

He added, ‎“We’re not here to recover 20 billion dollars overnight; this is a long-term investment.

‎”The legacy I want to leave is that whatever Nigerians need, fuel, fertiliser, power, we will be part of delivering it.”

Advertisement

‎Dangote endorsed the Tinubu administration’s Naira-for-crude policy, describing it as a patriotic initiative to strengthen the local economy, despite early resistance from international oil companies.

‎He explained, “It’s a teething problem, but it will be resolved, either through legislation or administrative action.”

Advertisement

‎Dangote emphasised that industrial investment, not extravagant acquisitions, remained the surest path to sustainable economic growth.(NAN)

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States

Published

on

banner

JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States

The All Progressives Congress on Thursday produced governorship candidates in 25 states ahead of the 2027 general elections, although internal disagreements over consensus arrangements forced the postponement of primaries in Kwara and Bauchi states.

Advertisement

The ruling party also rescheduled the State House of Assembly primaries for Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies in Zamfara State, while delays in the arrival of electoral materials disrupted voting in parts of Nasarawa State.

Among those who emerged as APC governorship candidates were Governors Sheriff Oborevwori in Delta, Peter Mbah in Enugu and Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, who clinched the party’s ticket in Lagos.

Advertisement

Other states where governorship candidates emerged included Oyo, Benue, Sokoto, Gombe, Yobe, Niger, Borno, Ebonyi, Abia, Jigawa, Taraba, Zamfara, Plateau, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Adamawa, Kano and Kaduna.

However, the APC National Working Committee shifted the governorship primaries in Kwara and Bauchi to Friday following consultations with stakeholders.

Advertisement

In a statement issued by APC National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, the party said the postponement was aimed at ensuring a smooth and credible process.

“The All Progressives Congress hereby announces the rescheduling of the governorship primary elections in Bauchi and Kwara States to Friday, May 22, 2026,” the statement read.

Advertisement

“The decision was approved by the National Working Committee following consultations with relevant stakeholders and in furtherance of the party’s commitment to ensuring a transparent, orderly, peaceful and credible primary election process.”

Despite the official explanation, the postponement triggered tension within the party, especially in Kwara and Bauchi where supporters accused powerful interests of attempting to impose preferred candidates.

Advertisement

In Kwara State, political uncertainty deepened around Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s preferred successor, Yahaya Seriki.

Hours after the postponement was announced, eight governorship aspirants reportedly stepped down in support of Seriki after consultations among party leaders.

Advertisement

Those who withdrew included Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe, Prof. Wale Sulaiman, Dr Mohammed Bio, Dr Toyin Alabi and Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu.

Sources within the party said the aspirants agreed to support Seriki “in the interest of unity and continuity.”

Advertisement

In Bauchi State, supporters of governorship aspirant Nura Soro staged protests over alleged plans to manipulate the process.

Director of the Nura Soro Campaign Organisation, Dr Auwal Jada, accused unnamed interests of attempting to alter results.

Advertisement

“This is the way previous primary elections were conducted. Our people are here peacefully to protect electoral materials and ensure transparency,” he stated.

“If it is truly free and fair, there should be no secrecy. Agents of all aspirants should accompany the results from the wards, sign them and accept them before they are taken for final collation.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile, political tensions also surfaced in Rivers State after Governor Siminalayi Fubara reportedly withdrew from the APC governorship race in the interest of “peace and unity.”

The decision sparked outrage among some supporters and political associates, who accused influential figures within the party of sidelining the governor politically.

Advertisement

Despite the controversy, Kingsley Chinda emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Rivers after polling 268,497 votes.

Chairman of the APC Governorship Primary Election Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, declared him winner.

Advertisement

“Ogundu Kingsley, having satisfied the requirements of the APC constitution and guidelines and scored the highest number of votes, is hereby declared the winner,” he stated.

In Delta State, Oborevwori secured the APC governorship ticket after polling 345,375 votes in a peaceful direct primary.

Advertisement

Speaking after the exercise, the governor described the process as transparent and violence-free.

“For the first time in Delta State, our primaries were conducted peacefully without violence, crisis or loss of lives. Nobody imposed candidates on the people. The people freely chose those they wanted,” he said.

Advertisement

In Enugu State, Mbah also emerged victorious as party members turned out across the state’s wards.

“It happened because our people are smart. Our people are wise and they know what is good when they see one,” Mbah stated.

Advertisement

In Lagos, Hamzat defeated Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal after polling 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary conducted across the state’s 245 wards.

In Gombe State, Jamilu Gwamna recorded one of the biggest upsets of the primaries after defeating former ministers Isa Pantami and Said Alkali.

Advertisement

Gwamna polled 247,161 votes while Pantami secured 12,120 votes and Alkali got 11,612 votes.

The APC also confirmed that its presidential primary election will hold nationwide on May 23 through direct voting across the country’s 8,809 wards.

Advertisement

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Stanley Osifo are the party’s two presidential aspirants.

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges

Published

on

banner

BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges

Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu has won the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary in Kwara ahead of the 2027 election.

Advertisement

The Chairman of the Primary Election Committee, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro, announced the result on Friday in Ilorin.
Obanikoro said Danladi-Saliu secured 94,990 votes to defeat nine other aspirants in the contest.
According to him, Amb. Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki came second with 41,700 votes, while Olufemi Sanni polled 5,519 votes.
Dr Yahaya Oloriegbe scored 3,920 votes, while Mohammed Bergore (SAN) secured 3,411 votes.
Mohammed Bio polled 1,122 votes, Dr Alabi Oluwatoyin got 1,099 votes, while Bashiru Bolarinwa secured 22,118 votes.
Prof. Abubakar Suleiman scored 1,722 votes, while Prof. Wale Suleiman polled 2,434 votes.
Obanikoro said the primary, postponed earlier for logistical reasons, witnessed a peaceful turnout by party members across the state.
“In spite of the inconveniences experienced yesterday, members came out today in large numbers to peacefully participate in the exercise.
“This has demonstrated the unity, perseverance and strength of our great party,” Obanikoro added.
He said there was no loser in the contest, describing all aspirants as members of one political family.
“I hereby certify that Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu, having satisfied APC requirements and scored the highest votes, is declared winner,” Obanikoro said.
The Kwara APC Chairman, Prince Sunday Fagbemi, praised members for their orderly conduct during the exercise.
Fagbemi described the successful primary as proof of the party’s readiness for the 2027 general elections. (NAN)

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder

Published

on

banner

JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder

An Osun State High Court sitting in Ile-Ife on Friday sentenced a 30-year-old man, Agboola Taiwo, to death by hanging for murder.

Advertisement

Taiwo was convicted for killing a 62-year-old woman, Jadesola Olubayo, on Oct. 11, 2023, at a palm oil processing site near the Amula River in Olokemeji Village, Ifetedo, in Ife South Local Government Area.

Delivering judgment, Justice Adedapo Adeniji held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and found the defendant guilty.

Advertisement

The court sentenced the convict to 14 years’ imprisonment for attempted rape (Count I), two years’ imprisonment for indecent assault (Count II), and death by hanging for murder (Count III).

Prosecution counsel, Omotayo Babalola of the Ministry of Justice, told the court that the deceased had gone to the processing site with her granddaughter, Latifat Adeyemo, for palm oil production.

Advertisement

She said the site owner, Ajibade Bashiru, later left them to attend to his nearby farm.

According to the prosecutor, the convict subsequently arrived at the site, stripped himself naked and caused panic.

Advertisement

Babalola said the deceased and her granddaughter tried to flee, but the convict chased and overpowered the elderly woman.

He added that the granddaughter ran to Bashiru’s farm for help, but before they returned, the convict had stripped the deceased and killed her by smashing her face with a stone and a stick.

Advertisement

The prosecutor said the deceased was found in a pool of blood, while the convict fled but was later apprehended near the scene and handed over to the police.

Babalola noted that the offences contravened Sections 319, 359 and 360 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 34, Vol. II, Laws of Osun State, 2002.

Advertisement

Defence counsel, Oluwaseun Akintola-Philip-Idiok and Victoria Ugochi-Layi-Jacob, pleaded for leniency, but the court rejected the plea. (NAN)

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

Trending

© 2025, All Rights Reserved | Crime Channels