Connect with us

Published

on

banner

People told President Tinubu i charmed him with clothes i gave him as gifts – Shettima

Vice President Kashim Shettima has disclosed that some individuals from Borno State once advised President Bola Tinubu to stop wearing traditional outfits he gifted him during the 2023 election campaign, alleging that the clothes had been spiritually manipulated to influence him.

Advertisement

Shettima, however, said Tinubu dismissed the claims and continued wearing the outfits deliberately for an entire week to prove there was nothing mystical about them.

The Vice President made the revelation on Tuesday in Abuja while representing Tinubu at the public presentation of My Life of Duty and Allegiance, the autobiography of former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon.

Advertisement

Speaking on what he described as the growing mistrust in Nigerian society, Shettima contrasted the current atmosphere with the relationship that once existed between Gowon and the family of the late Sultan Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar III.

He recounted how the Sultan’s family regularly sent gallons of fura to Gowon during his time in Dodan Barracks without any fear or suspicion.

Advertisement

“His Eminence, the Sultan of Sokoto, had been narrating the story of the family of the Sultan sending gallons of fura every week to General Yakubu Gowon in Dodan Barracks, because of the trust and confidence General Gowon was willingly receiving it without any suspicion.

“But now the game is different. Suspicion smears our relationships, and it ought not to be. We are essentially one people tied to a common destiny,” Shettima said.

Advertisement

The Vice President explained that during the 2023 presidential primaries, he personally sourced traditional Borno outfits and caps for Tinubu to wear while campaigning across Northern Nigeria.

According to him, the attire became popular and was frequently worn by Tinubu throughout the campaign period.

Advertisement

Shettima said the controversy emerged after the administration assumed office, following his return from Beijing, China, where he represented the President at the Third Belt and Road Initiative Forum in October 2023.

He said Tinubu later informed him that some visitors from Borno had warned him against continuing to wear the clothes.

Advertisement

“When I came back from China, where I had represented him at the Belt and Road Initiative Conference, he said: ‘Sit down. Your people came to me and said I should stop wearing those dresses you gave me. They said I must have been charmed, and that I am going to die and he will become the president,’” Shettima recounted.

According to the Vice President, Tinubu immediately dismissed the allegation, insisting the claim made no sense because the outfits were given to him before both of them emerged as the party’s presidential and vice-presidential candidates.

Advertisement

“Their story did not add up, because when you gave me those dresses, I was an aspirant. I wasn’t even the candidate. Neither were you the vice-presidential candidate,” Shettima quoted Tinubu as saying.

He added that the President intentionally continued wearing the traditional attire to counter the rumours.

Advertisement

“For one week, to prove to them that he is not fetish, he wore those dresses.

“These are some of the gimmicks that are taking place in power circles in Nigeria nowadays,” he added.

Advertisement

Shettima also praised Gowon for his statesmanship and contributions to national unity, saying the former Head of State represented a different era of leadership defined by trust and patriotism.

He highlighted Gowon’s role in establishing the National Youth Service Corps and his contribution to the formation of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).

Advertisement

Describing Gowon as “the last man standing” among Nigeria’s post-independence military leaders, Shettima said the memoir serves as “a bottom of memory at a time when our country needs a discipline of remembrance.”

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States

Published

on

banner

JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States

The All Progressives Congress on Thursday produced governorship candidates in 25 states ahead of the 2027 general elections, although internal disagreements over consensus arrangements forced the postponement of primaries in Kwara and Bauchi states.

Advertisement

The ruling party also rescheduled the State House of Assembly primaries for Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies in Zamfara State, while delays in the arrival of electoral materials disrupted voting in parts of Nasarawa State.

Among those who emerged as APC governorship candidates were Governors Sheriff Oborevwori in Delta, Peter Mbah in Enugu and Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, who clinched the party’s ticket in Lagos.

Advertisement

Other states where governorship candidates emerged included Oyo, Benue, Sokoto, Gombe, Yobe, Niger, Borno, Ebonyi, Abia, Jigawa, Taraba, Zamfara, Plateau, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Adamawa, Kano and Kaduna.

However, the APC National Working Committee shifted the governorship primaries in Kwara and Bauchi to Friday following consultations with stakeholders.

Advertisement

In a statement issued by APC National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, the party said the postponement was aimed at ensuring a smooth and credible process.

“The All Progressives Congress hereby announces the rescheduling of the governorship primary elections in Bauchi and Kwara States to Friday, May 22, 2026,” the statement read.

Advertisement

“The decision was approved by the National Working Committee following consultations with relevant stakeholders and in furtherance of the party’s commitment to ensuring a transparent, orderly, peaceful and credible primary election process.”

Despite the official explanation, the postponement triggered tension within the party, especially in Kwara and Bauchi where supporters accused powerful interests of attempting to impose preferred candidates.

Advertisement

In Kwara State, political uncertainty deepened around Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s preferred successor, Yahaya Seriki.

Hours after the postponement was announced, eight governorship aspirants reportedly stepped down in support of Seriki after consultations among party leaders.

Advertisement

Those who withdrew included Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe, Prof. Wale Sulaiman, Dr Mohammed Bio, Dr Toyin Alabi and Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu.

Sources within the party said the aspirants agreed to support Seriki “in the interest of unity and continuity.”

Advertisement

In Bauchi State, supporters of governorship aspirant Nura Soro staged protests over alleged plans to manipulate the process.

Director of the Nura Soro Campaign Organisation, Dr Auwal Jada, accused unnamed interests of attempting to alter results.

Advertisement

“This is the way previous primary elections were conducted. Our people are here peacefully to protect electoral materials and ensure transparency,” he stated.

“If it is truly free and fair, there should be no secrecy. Agents of all aspirants should accompany the results from the wards, sign them and accept them before they are taken for final collation.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile, political tensions also surfaced in Rivers State after Governor Siminalayi Fubara reportedly withdrew from the APC governorship race in the interest of “peace and unity.”

The decision sparked outrage among some supporters and political associates, who accused influential figures within the party of sidelining the governor politically.

Advertisement

Despite the controversy, Kingsley Chinda emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Rivers after polling 268,497 votes.

Chairman of the APC Governorship Primary Election Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, declared him winner.

Advertisement

“Ogundu Kingsley, having satisfied the requirements of the APC constitution and guidelines and scored the highest number of votes, is hereby declared the winner,” he stated.

In Delta State, Oborevwori secured the APC governorship ticket after polling 345,375 votes in a peaceful direct primary.

Advertisement

Speaking after the exercise, the governor described the process as transparent and violence-free.

“For the first time in Delta State, our primaries were conducted peacefully without violence, crisis or loss of lives. Nobody imposed candidates on the people. The people freely chose those they wanted,” he said.

Advertisement

In Enugu State, Mbah also emerged victorious as party members turned out across the state’s wards.

“It happened because our people are smart. Our people are wise and they know what is good when they see one,” Mbah stated.

Advertisement

In Lagos, Hamzat defeated Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal after polling 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary conducted across the state’s 245 wards.

In Gombe State, Jamilu Gwamna recorded one of the biggest upsets of the primaries after defeating former ministers Isa Pantami and Said Alkali.

Advertisement

Gwamna polled 247,161 votes while Pantami secured 12,120 votes and Alkali got 11,612 votes.

The APC also confirmed that its presidential primary election will hold nationwide on May 23 through direct voting across the country’s 8,809 wards.

Advertisement

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Stanley Osifo are the party’s two presidential aspirants.

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges

Published

on

banner

BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges

Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu has won the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary in Kwara ahead of the 2027 election.

Advertisement

The Chairman of the Primary Election Committee, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro, announced the result on Friday in Ilorin.
Obanikoro said Danladi-Saliu secured 94,990 votes to defeat nine other aspirants in the contest.
According to him, Amb. Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki came second with 41,700 votes, while Olufemi Sanni polled 5,519 votes.
Dr Yahaya Oloriegbe scored 3,920 votes, while Mohammed Bergore (SAN) secured 3,411 votes.
Mohammed Bio polled 1,122 votes, Dr Alabi Oluwatoyin got 1,099 votes, while Bashiru Bolarinwa secured 22,118 votes.
Prof. Abubakar Suleiman scored 1,722 votes, while Prof. Wale Suleiman polled 2,434 votes.
Obanikoro said the primary, postponed earlier for logistical reasons, witnessed a peaceful turnout by party members across the state.
“In spite of the inconveniences experienced yesterday, members came out today in large numbers to peacefully participate in the exercise.
“This has demonstrated the unity, perseverance and strength of our great party,” Obanikoro added.
He said there was no loser in the contest, describing all aspirants as members of one political family.
“I hereby certify that Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu, having satisfied APC requirements and scored the highest votes, is declared winner,” Obanikoro said.
The Kwara APC Chairman, Prince Sunday Fagbemi, praised members for their orderly conduct during the exercise.
Fagbemi described the successful primary as proof of the party’s readiness for the 2027 general elections. (NAN)

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder

Published

on

banner

JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder

An Osun State High Court sitting in Ile-Ife on Friday sentenced a 30-year-old man, Agboola Taiwo, to death by hanging for murder.

Advertisement

Taiwo was convicted for killing a 62-year-old woman, Jadesola Olubayo, on Oct. 11, 2023, at a palm oil processing site near the Amula River in Olokemeji Village, Ifetedo, in Ife South Local Government Area.

Delivering judgment, Justice Adedapo Adeniji held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and found the defendant guilty.

Advertisement

The court sentenced the convict to 14 years’ imprisonment for attempted rape (Count I), two years’ imprisonment for indecent assault (Count II), and death by hanging for murder (Count III).

Prosecution counsel, Omotayo Babalola of the Ministry of Justice, told the court that the deceased had gone to the processing site with her granddaughter, Latifat Adeyemo, for palm oil production.

Advertisement

She said the site owner, Ajibade Bashiru, later left them to attend to his nearby farm.

According to the prosecutor, the convict subsequently arrived at the site, stripped himself naked and caused panic.

Advertisement

Babalola said the deceased and her granddaughter tried to flee, but the convict chased and overpowered the elderly woman.

He added that the granddaughter ran to Bashiru’s farm for help, but before they returned, the convict had stripped the deceased and killed her by smashing her face with a stone and a stick.

Advertisement

The prosecutor said the deceased was found in a pool of blood, while the convict fled but was later apprehended near the scene and handed over to the police.

Babalola noted that the offences contravened Sections 319, 359 and 360 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 34, Vol. II, Laws of Osun State, 2002.

Advertisement

Defence counsel, Oluwaseun Akintola-Philip-Idiok and Victoria Ugochi-Layi-Jacob, pleaded for leniency, but the court rejected the plea. (NAN)

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

Trending

© 2025, All Rights Reserved | Crime Channels