JUST IN; Likely target of shooting at White House correspondents’ dinner revealed
JUST IN; Likely target of shooting at White House correspondents’ dinner revealed
Trump likely target of shooting at White House correspondents’ dinner – official
U.S. Acting Attorney General, Todd Blanche said on Sunday that President Donald Trump was likely the target of the suspect in Saturday’s shooting at the white house.
On Saturday night, an unknown man fired at a security agent guarding the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington.
The man fired a shotgun at a Secret Service agent at a checkpoint in the Washington Hilton hotel before being tackled and arrested. Trump and first lady Melania Trump were rushed out of the dinner.
Blanche said: “it does appear that he, he did, in fact, set out to target folks that work in the administration, likely including the president. Meet the Press.
“The suspect likely traveled by train from Los Angeles to Chicago and then to Washington.’’
According to Blanche, the suspect will be charged in federal court on Monday with assault of a federal officer, discharging a firearm and attempting to kill a federal officer, adding that he did not know if there was an Iran connection to the attack.
Trump told reporters at a briefing at the White House after the attack that the Secret Service agent was saved by his bulletproof vest and was in “good shape.”
U.S. Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi confirmed the officer had been released from hospital.
Trump told reporters he believed that he was the target of the attack. The president has survived two previous attempts on his life since 2024, a period of deepening political polarisation in the United States.
Around the world, leaders condemned the attack, adding they were relieved that Trump and all present were safe and expressing their solidarity with the United States.
NATO leader Mark Rutte called it an attack “on our free and open societies,” and leaders stressed violence had no place in a democracy.
A law enforcement official identified the suspect as Cole Tomas Allen, a California resident about 31 years old.
Little was immediately known about Allen’s background, but social media postings suggested he was a teacher in Torrance, near Los Angeles.
Washington interim Police Chief Jeffery Carroll said the suspect was armed with a shotgun, a handgun and multiple knives.
He was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated but it was too soon to say what his motivation was, Carroll said.
Based on preliminary information, he was believed to have been a guest at the hotel, Carroll added.
The chaotic events from around 8:35 p.m. (0035 GMT on Sunday) raised fresh questions about the security of top U.S. officials, many of whom were gathered in the hotel’s expansive ballroom.
A focus of the investigation is likely to be how the gunman was able to smuggle the shotgun into the hotel, which hosts the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, a marquee fixture of Washington’s social calendar.
The black-tie event was attended by many members of Trump’s cabinet and other senior administration officials amid heavy security.
It was the first time Trump attended the event as president, having boycotted it in previous years.
Afterward, Trump addressed reporters, many still in evening attire, in an extraordinary late-night press conference in the White House briefing room, flanked by Vice President JD Vance and other cabinet members.
Trump’s wife Melania looked on from the sidelines and demurred when he asked her whether she wanted to talk about the events of the evening.
The venue for the dinner was the scene of an attempt on the life of President Ronald Reagan, who was shot and wounded by a would-be assassin outside the hotel in 1981.
Closed-circuit TV footage released by Trump on Truth Social showed the suspect running rapidly through a security checkpoint, momentarily catching security personnel off-guard before they drew their weapons.
No shots were fired at the gunman who got through two checkpoints before being brought down.
“You know, he charged from 50 yards away, so he was very far away from the room. He was moving. He was really moving,” Trump said after the gala dinner was cancelled.
Officials believe he is a “lone wolf,” Trump said.
Video footage shows Trump and his wife sitting at a banquet table on stage in conversation with someone when a commotion at the rear of the ballroom – caused by the noise of gunshots – triggers a ripple of gasps through the room.
People started screaming “Get down, get down!” Many of the 2,600 attendees dressed in tuxedos and ball gowns took cover under tables as security personnel drew their weapons, with some pushing cabinet secretaries to the floor and covering them with their bodies while others formed a protective cordon.
Security personnel in combat fatigues stormed the stage pointing rifles into the ballroom as Trump, his wife and Vance were evacuated. Cabinet members who had been sitting at tables dotted around the vast room were escorted out by their security details one by one.
While most guests huddled under tables, some people began chanting “USA, USA!”
Trump stayed backstage for about an hour after being hustled from the stage, a source told Reuters.
He later said he had not wanted to leave the event, a remark that echoed images of him defiantly pumping his fist after narrowly escaping an assassination attempt in Butler, Pennsylvania, in 2024.
In that attempt, Trump was shot and wounded in his upper ear by a 20-year-old gunman, who was shot dead by security personnel.
Just over two months after the Butler shooting, Secret Service agents spotted a man wielding a gun and hiding in bushes at the Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, Florida, while Trump was on the course.
It was deemed an assassination attempt and the suspect was sentenced to life in prison in February. (Reuters/NAN) (www.nannews.ng)
News
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
The All Progressives Congress on Thursday produced governorship candidates in 25 states ahead of the 2027 general elections, although internal disagreements over consensus arrangements forced the postponement of primaries in Kwara and Bauchi states.
The ruling party also rescheduled the State House of Assembly primaries for Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies in Zamfara State, while delays in the arrival of electoral materials disrupted voting in parts of Nasarawa State.
Among those who emerged as APC governorship candidates were Governors Sheriff Oborevwori in Delta, Peter Mbah in Enugu and Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, who clinched the party’s ticket in Lagos.
Other states where governorship candidates emerged included Oyo, Benue, Sokoto, Gombe, Yobe, Niger, Borno, Ebonyi, Abia, Jigawa, Taraba, Zamfara, Plateau, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Adamawa, Kano and Kaduna.
However, the APC National Working Committee shifted the governorship primaries in Kwara and Bauchi to Friday following consultations with stakeholders.
In a statement issued by APC National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, the party said the postponement was aimed at ensuring a smooth and credible process.
“The All Progressives Congress hereby announces the rescheduling of the governorship primary elections in Bauchi and Kwara States to Friday, May 22, 2026,” the statement read.
“The decision was approved by the National Working Committee following consultations with relevant stakeholders and in furtherance of the party’s commitment to ensuring a transparent, orderly, peaceful and credible primary election process.”
Despite the official explanation, the postponement triggered tension within the party, especially in Kwara and Bauchi where supporters accused powerful interests of attempting to impose preferred candidates.
In Kwara State, political uncertainty deepened around Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s preferred successor, Yahaya Seriki.
Hours after the postponement was announced, eight governorship aspirants reportedly stepped down in support of Seriki after consultations among party leaders.
Those who withdrew included Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe, Prof. Wale Sulaiman, Dr Mohammed Bio, Dr Toyin Alabi and Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu.
Sources within the party said the aspirants agreed to support Seriki “in the interest of unity and continuity.”
In Bauchi State, supporters of governorship aspirant Nura Soro staged protests over alleged plans to manipulate the process.
Director of the Nura Soro Campaign Organisation, Dr Auwal Jada, accused unnamed interests of attempting to alter results.
“This is the way previous primary elections were conducted. Our people are here peacefully to protect electoral materials and ensure transparency,” he stated.
“If it is truly free and fair, there should be no secrecy. Agents of all aspirants should accompany the results from the wards, sign them and accept them before they are taken for final collation.”
Meanwhile, political tensions also surfaced in Rivers State after Governor Siminalayi Fubara reportedly withdrew from the APC governorship race in the interest of “peace and unity.”
The decision sparked outrage among some supporters and political associates, who accused influential figures within the party of sidelining the governor politically.
Despite the controversy, Kingsley Chinda emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Rivers after polling 268,497 votes.
Chairman of the APC Governorship Primary Election Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, declared him winner.
“Ogundu Kingsley, having satisfied the requirements of the APC constitution and guidelines and scored the highest number of votes, is hereby declared the winner,” he stated.
In Delta State, Oborevwori secured the APC governorship ticket after polling 345,375 votes in a peaceful direct primary.
Speaking after the exercise, the governor described the process as transparent and violence-free.
“For the first time in Delta State, our primaries were conducted peacefully without violence, crisis or loss of lives. Nobody imposed candidates on the people. The people freely chose those they wanted,” he said.
In Enugu State, Mbah also emerged victorious as party members turned out across the state’s wards.
“It happened because our people are smart. Our people are wise and they know what is good when they see one,” Mbah stated.
In Lagos, Hamzat defeated Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal after polling 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary conducted across the state’s 245 wards.
In Gombe State, Jamilu Gwamna recorded one of the biggest upsets of the primaries after defeating former ministers Isa Pantami and Said Alkali.
Gwamna polled 247,161 votes while Pantami secured 12,120 votes and Alkali got 11,612 votes.
The APC also confirmed that its presidential primary election will hold nationwide on May 23 through direct voting across the country’s 8,809 wards.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Stanley Osifo are the party’s two presidential aspirants.
News
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu has won the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary in Kwara ahead of the 2027 election.
The Chairman of the Primary Election Committee, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro, announced the result on Friday in Ilorin.
Obanikoro said Danladi-Saliu secured 94,990 votes to defeat nine other aspirants in the contest.
According to him, Amb. Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki came second with 41,700 votes, while Olufemi Sanni polled 5,519 votes.
Dr Yahaya Oloriegbe scored 3,920 votes, while Mohammed Bergore (SAN) secured 3,411 votes.
Mohammed Bio polled 1,122 votes, Dr Alabi Oluwatoyin got 1,099 votes, while Bashiru Bolarinwa secured 22,118 votes.
Prof. Abubakar Suleiman scored 1,722 votes, while Prof. Wale Suleiman polled 2,434 votes.
Obanikoro said the primary, postponed earlier for logistical reasons, witnessed a peaceful turnout by party members across the state.
“In spite of the inconveniences experienced yesterday, members came out today in large numbers to peacefully participate in the exercise.
“This has demonstrated the unity, perseverance and strength of our great party,” Obanikoro added.
He said there was no loser in the contest, describing all aspirants as members of one political family.
“I hereby certify that Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu, having satisfied APC requirements and scored the highest votes, is declared winner,” Obanikoro said.
The Kwara APC Chairman, Prince Sunday Fagbemi, praised members for their orderly conduct during the exercise.
Fagbemi described the successful primary as proof of the party’s readiness for the 2027 general elections. (NAN)
News
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
An Osun State High Court sitting in Ile-Ife on Friday sentenced a 30-year-old man, Agboola Taiwo, to death by hanging for murder.
Taiwo was convicted for killing a 62-year-old woman, Jadesola Olubayo, on Oct. 11, 2023, at a palm oil processing site near the Amula River in Olokemeji Village, Ifetedo, in Ife South Local Government Area.
Delivering judgment, Justice Adedapo Adeniji held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and found the defendant guilty.
The court sentenced the convict to 14 years’ imprisonment for attempted rape (Count I), two years’ imprisonment for indecent assault (Count II), and death by hanging for murder (Count III).
Prosecution counsel, Omotayo Babalola of the Ministry of Justice, told the court that the deceased had gone to the processing site with her granddaughter, Latifat Adeyemo, for palm oil production.
She said the site owner, Ajibade Bashiru, later left them to attend to his nearby farm.
According to the prosecutor, the convict subsequently arrived at the site, stripped himself naked and caused panic.
Babalola said the deceased and her granddaughter tried to flee, but the convict chased and overpowered the elderly woman.
He added that the granddaughter ran to Bashiru’s farm for help, but before they returned, the convict had stripped the deceased and killed her by smashing her face with a stone and a stick.
The prosecutor said the deceased was found in a pool of blood, while the convict fled but was later apprehended near the scene and handed over to the police.
Babalola noted that the offences contravened Sections 319, 359 and 360 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 34, Vol. II, Laws of Osun State, 2002.
Defence counsel, Oluwaseun Akintola-Philip-Idiok and Victoria Ugochi-Layi-Jacob, pleaded for leniency, but the court rejected the plea. (NAN)
-
6 years ago
Our situation in Kano terrible – Gov Ganduje cries out
-
News1 year agoFG pledges commitment to enhance Police officers Welfare, implement Tinubu’s 8-point agenda for NPF
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NSCDC gets approval to commence 2025 recruitment exercise
-
News1 year agoAlleged cocaine deal: Court issues orders in suspended DCP Abba Kyari’s case
-
News1 year agoDPO under investigation for allegedly taking teenage girl to his home while in police custody
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Commissioner of Police bows out of Service
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Police Inspector dies watching Arsenal match
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NLC declare nationwide protest


