BREAKING; Gunmen invade Palace kidnap first class Traditional Ruler
BREAKING; Gunmen invade Palace kidnap first class Traditional Ruler
The Police Command in Kogi has confirmed the abduction of a first class traditional ruler, Oba James Ogunyanda in Yagba West Local Government of the state.
The Command’s spokesman, SP Williams Ovye-Aya confirmed the incident to the News Agency Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Lokoja.
He said the Commissioner of Police, Mr Miller Dantawaye, has directed all Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) within Kogi West to rise to the challenge to rescue the traditional ruler with immediate effect.
Dantawaye also urged them to liaise with other security agents and the Vigilante group to launch a formidable rescue operation to track down the abductors.
Oba Ogunyanda is the traditional ruler of Okoloke, a border town with Kwara.
The royal father was allegedly abducted in the early hours of Thursday in his palace.
The incident has caused panic across the area, where there’s growing cases of kidnapping.
An eye witness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said a group of armed men stormed the monarch’s palace in Okoloke about 2:00 a.m.
The hoodlums overpowered the palace guards and forcefully whisked the monarch away to an unknown location.
“They are yet to make contact nor issue any ransom demands, deepening anxiety among residents, relatives, and members of the royal household.
Meanwhile, the Chairman of Yagba West Local Government Council, Mr Tosin Olokun, has condemned the abduction of the monarch in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Adeyemi Sunday.
“This reprehensible attack on a revered traditional ruler is a direct affront to our cultural values and peaceful coexistence. It is unacceptable and stands condemned.
“Security operatives, in collaboration with local hunters, have launched coordinated operations to rescue the abducted monarch and others held captive.
“Search efforts are ongoing, with intensified surveillance in key areas.
“The local government is working closely with all relevant security agencies to ensure prompt and decisive action,” Olokun said.
He appealed to the people to remain calm and cooperative, and to report any suspicious persons, movements or activities to the nearest authorities. (NAN)
Crime
Thirteen Guests shot dead by gunmen at wedding ceremony, others kidnapped
Thirteen Guests shot dead by gunmen at wedding ceremony, others kidnapped
At least 13 people have been killed and several others abducted after armed bandits attacked a wedding ceremony in Kahir village, Kagarko Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The late-night assault, which occurred around 11:47 p.m. on Sunday, has intensified fears over worsening insecurity in rural communities across the state.
Residents said the attackers stormed the venue in large numbers, wielding heavy weapons, and opened fire on guests, throwing the gathering into chaos.
Several victims sustained gunshot wounds and were taken to the General Hospital in Kagarko, while those critically injured were transferred to facilities in Kaduna for further treatment.
A community leader disclosed that the assailants operated for nearly an hour, during which they also looted shops, carting away food items, provisions, and medical supplies.
The victims have since been buried, while efforts to establish contact with the abductors have so far been unsuccessful.
A police source in Kagarko confirmed the incident to Vanguard, noting that security agencies have launched investigations and are working to ascertain the exact number of persons abducted.
Crime
Guns other weapons recovered as Police arrest 10 Suspects over assassination attempt on Monarch
Guns other weapons recovered as Police arrest 10 Suspects over assassination attempt on Monarch
The Ondo State Police Command has arrested ten suspects in connection with a foiled assassination attempt on the traditional ruler of Igoba community in Akure North Local Government Area, Oba Adinlewa John.
The armed assailants reportedly stormed the community around 11:30 a.m., wielding guns, machetes, charms, and other dangerous weapons, leaving residents in fear as they launched a coordinated attack.
Before targeting the monarch’s palace, the gang allegedly assaulted a resident, Mrs. Ogunoye Oluomo, who sustained serious injuries and was robbed of her personal belongings.
According to eyewitnesses, the attackers made their way to the palace with the intention of killing Oba Adinlewa John.
The monarch, however, managed to escape unharmed, though the incident caused widespread panic throughout the community.
Confirming the incident, the Commissioner of Police in Ondo State, Adebowale Lawal, said a tactical response team was immediately dispatched to the area, leading to the arrest of ten suspects at the scene.
Recovered from the suspects were two locally made pistols, a single-barrel gun, live ammunition, charms, and other assorted weapons.
Lawal revealed that the suspects had already confessed to their involvement in the plot and would be charged to court upon the conclusion of investigations.
He added that efforts are underway to apprehend other members of the gang who fled during the operation.
“Ondo State will not be allowed to become a breeding ground for violence and criminality,” the police commissioner said. “Security has been reinforced in Igoba to restore calm and ensure that no such incident occurs again.”
This attempted assassination comes just a day after another disturbing incident in the state, where the Onidogun of Idogun, Oba Moses Bakare, his wife, and their son, Prince Victor Bakare, were attacked by angry youths in Ose Local Government Area during preparations for the community’s new yam festival.
The monarch was assaulted, his wife stripped partially naked, and the crown prince reportedly injured.
The police have launched separate investigations into both incidents, which have sparked concern over rising threats to traditional institutions in the state.
Meanwhile, those injured during the attacks are currently receiving treatment at medical facilities in their respective communities.
Authorities say normalcy has returned to Igoba following the swift police intervention, with a heightened security presence now in place to maintain order and deter further violence.
Crime
Student arrested, remanded for unlawful possession of firearms
Student arrested, remanded for unlawful possession of firearms
A 25-year-old student, Obinna Igwe, a suspected cult member, found in possession of a gun, on Thursday, appeared before an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State
The police arraigned Igwe, a resident of Oremeji Street in Bariga, on three counts of conspiracy, unlawful possession of a gun, and unlawful possession of cartridges.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Sunday Bassey told the court that the defendant and his accomplices, still at large, committed the offences on Sept. 9, at 11:00 p.m. at Shobande Street, Akoka, Bariga, Lagos.
He said the police received a distress call that some suspected cult boys had gathered in the area, prompting the Divisional Police Officer of Bariga Division, CSP Godwin Okploko, to lead a patrol team to the scene.
According to him, the suspects fled on sighting the police, but Igwe was arrested with the help of a security guard.
Bassey said one locally-made cut-to-size double-barrel gun and two live cartridges were recovered from Igwe during the operation.
He said the offences contravened Sections 411 and 330 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015, and Section 27 of the Firearms Act, Cap F28 Laws of the Federation, 2004.
The Magistrate, Mrs. O.A. Daodu, who did not take the plea of the defendant, ordered that the case file should be transferred to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice.
She further ordered that the defendant be remanded in custody and adjourned the case until Oct. 28, for mention.(NAN)
-
6 years ago
Our situation in Kano terrible – Gov Ganduje cries out
-
News1 year agoFG pledges commitment to enhance Police officers Welfare, implement Tinubu’s 8-point agenda for NPF
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NSCDC gets approval to commence 2025 recruitment exercise
-
News1 year agoAlleged cocaine deal: Court issues orders in suspended DCP Abba Kyari’s case
-
News1 year agoDPO under investigation for allegedly taking teenage girl to his home while in police custody
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Commissioner of Police bows out of Service
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Police Inspector dies watching Arsenal match
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NLC declare nationwide protest


