Aggrieved ex-member sues Church, Senior Pastor, others, over allegation of incitement
Mr Olabode Tijani, an aggrieved and former member of Dominion Chapel Church International, Favour House Branch, Lugbe in Abuja, has sued the church; the Senior Pastor, Eyong Eyong, and others for allegedly inciting his wife, Mrs Abolore Tijani, to divorce him.
Also joined in the suit are President, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN); Registrar General, Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) and Mrs Doris Eyong as 2nd, 3rd and 5th defendants respectively.
The Dominion Chapel and Pastor Eyong are sued as 1st and 4th defendants in the writ of summons marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1402/2024 filed by Tijani’s lawyer, Hassan Omolowo, before Justice Gladys Olotu of the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) observes that Tijani, a Civil Engineer and Founder cum President, Registered Trustees of Downtrodden Peoples Empowerment Foundation Worldwide (1st claimant), is the 2nd claimant in the suit dated Sept. 17, 2024 but filed Sept. 18, 2024.
Tijani is praying the court to declare that the church amd its officials at Favour House, New Site Estate, Lugbe Branch in Abuja have no right to interfere in the marital affairs of its members to the extent of separating them and encouraging divorce among them.
He is also praying the court to declare that they have no right to prevent him “from accessing his wife and family within the church premises in full view of the members of the church and bystanders on the 1st day of September, 2024 at about 8am thereby further lacerating his family relationship.
“A declaration that the 1st defendant (Dominion Chapel) and its officials have no rights to have received and quartered the members of family of the 2nd claimant and their property (including the 2nd claimant’s property) for 13 {thirteen} days (at the time of filing this suit).”
He wants the court to declare that the church and its officials had breached his fundamental rights to fair hearing when before hearing his own side of the matter, they proceeded to accommodate his family of six for 13 days, at the time of filing the suit.
He wants the court to declare that the church has violated one of the core qualifications for being a member of CAN.
Tijani, therefore, prayed the court to make an order, compelling the church and its officials to immediately return the family members, family property and his documents to the family domain and quarters at Tudun Wada, Lugbe, Abuja.
He urged the court to make an order restraining the church, Pastor Eyong and his wife including their agents “from further encouraging the divorce, separation of the family of the 2nd claimant, and termination of the marriage of the 2nd claimant and other members of the church and all Christians all over the world.”
He prayed the court to make an order, compelling CAN President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, to sanction the church from engaging in, and pursuing anti-Christian activities within its domain.
He also sought an order compelling CAN president to sanction and prevent Mrs Eyong (pastor’s wife) from holding responsible positions within the church “because of her unchristian utterances and postures.”
He sought an order restraining the church, Pastor Eyong and Mrs Eyong from intimidating, harassing and further interfering in his family affairs.
He equally sought an order compelling the church, Pastor Eyong and Mrs Eyong to issue and publish a public apology to him in two national! dailes.
Tijani, who seeks a special damages In the sum of N1 million, also seeks general damages in sum of N200 million, including “a cost of litigation in the sum of N5 million.”
In his statement of claim, Tijani averred that he had been married to Mrs Abolore for 23 years and had gone through varied challenges and experiences with her.
He said their marriage yielded five children “comprising three daughters including a set of twins and two sons.”
He said they voluntarily joined the church five years in Power House branch before moving to Favour House branch two years later.
He said he had allowed unlimited access to, and regular attendance of church services by members of his family to the extent that all the children are involved in one church work and duty or the other.
According to him, Mrs. Tiant A. Abolore is a member of the women group and contributes to the progress of the church.
Tijani said he “is a member of the 1st defendant (church) and attends the services of the Power House and Favour House branches of the 1st defendant.”
He said on Aug. 31, 2024, he had cause to advise his twin daughters on the need to save the little money they are earning because of the future only for his wife, Mrs Abolore, to intervene and interfere by holding his trouser.
He said on Sept. 1, 2024, he also advised his children to attend the church next door as “GOD is everywhere” but they did not listen.
He said when his wife complained of being indisposed, he gave her money to go and treat herself but instead of going to buy drugs with the money she allegedly decided to go to the Favour House branch of the church.
He said three hours later after his wife did not return, he went to Lugbe branch of the church to look for her.
“Upon getting to the church, the 2nd claimant (Mr Tijani) was told by the security guards that they have been given instructions not to allow him enter the church and thereupon, the elder of the church, the 5th defendant (Mrs Eyong) and other church members came out and denied him access to see his wife who was inside the church.”
Tijani alleged that upon being denied access to his wife, he went to the shop he had personally established for his wife and upon entering the shop, Mrs Eyong allegedly harassed him that it was a criminal act for him to enter the shop without his wife’s knowledge.
He alleged that the pastor’s wife proceeded to tell the security personnel to chase him out anytime they see him within the church premises and further proceeded to padlock the shop he set up for his wife.
He said Mrs Eyong allegedly proceeded to threaten him about directing his wife to serve him with divorce letter and also to go to the NAPTIP to lodge complaint against him.
Tijani said he responded that since Mrs Eyong was not the one who joined them together in marriage, he would rather take his wife back to Ibadan, the home town, if he wanted to divorce her, and not in Abuja.
He said he believes that the Bible does not support divorce except in cases of sexual immorality and adultery.
He alleged that the senior pastor and his wife were instrumental in the conveyance of his family property to the church and that his family members “have been in the church’s children’s class for 13 (thirteen) days now.”
He said since his family moved out of his house, he had “been feeding irregularly and dysfunctionally at ‘Mama Put’ roadside restaurants with the health hazards involved.”
Besides, Tijani said he has to personally clean his house and wash clothes and other valuables by himself.
“The claimants state that the 2nd claimant has not had physical access to his wife for 13 (thirteen) days now.
“The 2nd claimant was deprived of the opportunity of sending his children back to school when they resumed on the 2nd day of September, 2024 by the 1st, 4th and 5th defendants,” he said.
He alleged that the senior pastor and his wife had caused to administer to his wife drugs unknown to him, and without his knowledge and without his permission.
According to him, he had undergone a most excruciating and debilitating embarrassment of his life when he was publicly deprived of access to his wife and the security personnel were instructed not to allow him to enter the church premises.
When the matter came up before Justice Olotu, Omolowo, who appeared for Tijani, informed the court of their intention to amend the suit.
Lawyer to the church and the pastor, A.O. Igeh, did not oppose the application and Justice Olotu adjourned the matter until May 29 for hearing.(NAN)
News
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
The All Progressives Congress on Thursday produced governorship candidates in 25 states ahead of the 2027 general elections, although internal disagreements over consensus arrangements forced the postponement of primaries in Kwara and Bauchi states.
The ruling party also rescheduled the State House of Assembly primaries for Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies in Zamfara State, while delays in the arrival of electoral materials disrupted voting in parts of Nasarawa State.
Among those who emerged as APC governorship candidates were Governors Sheriff Oborevwori in Delta, Peter Mbah in Enugu and Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, who clinched the party’s ticket in Lagos.
Other states where governorship candidates emerged included Oyo, Benue, Sokoto, Gombe, Yobe, Niger, Borno, Ebonyi, Abia, Jigawa, Taraba, Zamfara, Plateau, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Adamawa, Kano and Kaduna.
However, the APC National Working Committee shifted the governorship primaries in Kwara and Bauchi to Friday following consultations with stakeholders.
In a statement issued by APC National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, the party said the postponement was aimed at ensuring a smooth and credible process.
“The All Progressives Congress hereby announces the rescheduling of the governorship primary elections in Bauchi and Kwara States to Friday, May 22, 2026,” the statement read.
“The decision was approved by the National Working Committee following consultations with relevant stakeholders and in furtherance of the party’s commitment to ensuring a transparent, orderly, peaceful and credible primary election process.”
Despite the official explanation, the postponement triggered tension within the party, especially in Kwara and Bauchi where supporters accused powerful interests of attempting to impose preferred candidates.
In Kwara State, political uncertainty deepened around Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s preferred successor, Yahaya Seriki.
Hours after the postponement was announced, eight governorship aspirants reportedly stepped down in support of Seriki after consultations among party leaders.
Those who withdrew included Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe, Prof. Wale Sulaiman, Dr Mohammed Bio, Dr Toyin Alabi and Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu.
Sources within the party said the aspirants agreed to support Seriki “in the interest of unity and continuity.”
In Bauchi State, supporters of governorship aspirant Nura Soro staged protests over alleged plans to manipulate the process.
Director of the Nura Soro Campaign Organisation, Dr Auwal Jada, accused unnamed interests of attempting to alter results.
“This is the way previous primary elections were conducted. Our people are here peacefully to protect electoral materials and ensure transparency,” he stated.
“If it is truly free and fair, there should be no secrecy. Agents of all aspirants should accompany the results from the wards, sign them and accept them before they are taken for final collation.”
Meanwhile, political tensions also surfaced in Rivers State after Governor Siminalayi Fubara reportedly withdrew from the APC governorship race in the interest of “peace and unity.”
The decision sparked outrage among some supporters and political associates, who accused influential figures within the party of sidelining the governor politically.
Despite the controversy, Kingsley Chinda emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Rivers after polling 268,497 votes.
Chairman of the APC Governorship Primary Election Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, declared him winner.
“Ogundu Kingsley, having satisfied the requirements of the APC constitution and guidelines and scored the highest number of votes, is hereby declared the winner,” he stated.
In Delta State, Oborevwori secured the APC governorship ticket after polling 345,375 votes in a peaceful direct primary.
Speaking after the exercise, the governor described the process as transparent and violence-free.
“For the first time in Delta State, our primaries were conducted peacefully without violence, crisis or loss of lives. Nobody imposed candidates on the people. The people freely chose those they wanted,” he said.
In Enugu State, Mbah also emerged victorious as party members turned out across the state’s wards.
“It happened because our people are smart. Our people are wise and they know what is good when they see one,” Mbah stated.
In Lagos, Hamzat defeated Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal after polling 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary conducted across the state’s 245 wards.
In Gombe State, Jamilu Gwamna recorded one of the biggest upsets of the primaries after defeating former ministers Isa Pantami and Said Alkali.
Gwamna polled 247,161 votes while Pantami secured 12,120 votes and Alkali got 11,612 votes.
The APC also confirmed that its presidential primary election will hold nationwide on May 23 through direct voting across the country’s 8,809 wards.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Stanley Osifo are the party’s two presidential aspirants.
News
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu has won the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary in Kwara ahead of the 2027 election.
The Chairman of the Primary Election Committee, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro, announced the result on Friday in Ilorin.
Obanikoro said Danladi-Saliu secured 94,990 votes to defeat nine other aspirants in the contest.
According to him, Amb. Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki came second with 41,700 votes, while Olufemi Sanni polled 5,519 votes.
Dr Yahaya Oloriegbe scored 3,920 votes, while Mohammed Bergore (SAN) secured 3,411 votes.
Mohammed Bio polled 1,122 votes, Dr Alabi Oluwatoyin got 1,099 votes, while Bashiru Bolarinwa secured 22,118 votes.
Prof. Abubakar Suleiman scored 1,722 votes, while Prof. Wale Suleiman polled 2,434 votes.
Obanikoro said the primary, postponed earlier for logistical reasons, witnessed a peaceful turnout by party members across the state.
“In spite of the inconveniences experienced yesterday, members came out today in large numbers to peacefully participate in the exercise.
“This has demonstrated the unity, perseverance and strength of our great party,” Obanikoro added.
He said there was no loser in the contest, describing all aspirants as members of one political family.
“I hereby certify that Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu, having satisfied APC requirements and scored the highest votes, is declared winner,” Obanikoro said.
The Kwara APC Chairman, Prince Sunday Fagbemi, praised members for their orderly conduct during the exercise.
Fagbemi described the successful primary as proof of the party’s readiness for the 2027 general elections. (NAN)
News
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
An Osun State High Court sitting in Ile-Ife on Friday sentenced a 30-year-old man, Agboola Taiwo, to death by hanging for murder.
Taiwo was convicted for killing a 62-year-old woman, Jadesola Olubayo, on Oct. 11, 2023, at a palm oil processing site near the Amula River in Olokemeji Village, Ifetedo, in Ife South Local Government Area.
Delivering judgment, Justice Adedapo Adeniji held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and found the defendant guilty.
The court sentenced the convict to 14 years’ imprisonment for attempted rape (Count I), two years’ imprisonment for indecent assault (Count II), and death by hanging for murder (Count III).
Prosecution counsel, Omotayo Babalola of the Ministry of Justice, told the court that the deceased had gone to the processing site with her granddaughter, Latifat Adeyemo, for palm oil production.
She said the site owner, Ajibade Bashiru, later left them to attend to his nearby farm.
According to the prosecutor, the convict subsequently arrived at the site, stripped himself naked and caused panic.
Babalola said the deceased and her granddaughter tried to flee, but the convict chased and overpowered the elderly woman.
He added that the granddaughter ran to Bashiru’s farm for help, but before they returned, the convict had stripped the deceased and killed her by smashing her face with a stone and a stick.
The prosecutor said the deceased was found in a pool of blood, while the convict fled but was later apprehended near the scene and handed over to the police.
Babalola noted that the offences contravened Sections 319, 359 and 360 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 34, Vol. II, Laws of Osun State, 2002.
Defence counsel, Oluwaseun Akintola-Philip-Idiok and Victoria Ugochi-Layi-Jacob, pleaded for leniency, but the court rejected the plea. (NAN)
-
6 years ago
Our situation in Kano terrible – Gov Ganduje cries out
-
News1 year agoFG pledges commitment to enhance Police officers Welfare, implement Tinubu’s 8-point agenda for NPF
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NSCDC gets approval to commence 2025 recruitment exercise
-
News1 year agoAlleged cocaine deal: Court issues orders in suspended DCP Abba Kyari’s case
-
News1 year agoDPO under investigation for allegedly taking teenage girl to his home while in police custody
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Commissioner of Police bows out of Service
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Police Inspector dies watching Arsenal match
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NLC declare nationwide protest


