2027: Outrage from opposition as Tinubu’s Govt allegedly distributes vehicles to RHA, calls it early campaign
2027: Outrage from opposition as Tinubu’s Govt allegedly distributes vehicles to RHA, calls it early campaign
Opposition parties and Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, have rebuked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu over the distribution of vehicles to state coordinators of the Renewed Hope Ambassadors (RHA), describing the initiative as an early campaign effort disguised as a public engagement programme.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the African Democratic Congress (ADC), and Obi argued that the development suggested the president was prioritising his 2027 re-election ambition over the demands of governance.
They insisted that, despite the cautious language used to define the RHA’s mandate, the initiative amounted to a covert political structure. The vehicles, they said, were ultimately campaign tools deployed long before the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) permits political activities.
They accused the presidency of showing disregard for citizens’ welfare and violating “a flagrant disregard of the Electoral Act,” which bars campaigning outside INEC’s timetable.
Concerns about premature political mobilisation are not new. Earlier in the year, key organs of the All Progressives Congress (APC) openly endorsed President Tinubu as its 2027 candidate, a move widely criticised as insensitive. Campaign posters bearing Tinubu’s image also appeared across Abuja for months despite official denials and calls for their removal.
The controversy escalated again following the appointment of state and zonal coordinators for the RHA and the distribution of branded vehicles. On November 25, Tinubu named Imo State Governor Hope Uzodimma as Renewed Hope Ambassador, instructing him to focus on “evangelising the Tinubu administration’s programmes.”
“In his role as ambassador, he will double as the Director-General for Party Outreach, Engagement and Mobilisation,” presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga said.
Uzodimma went on to appoint zonal coordinators, including former governors Dr Ifeanyi Okowa (South-South), Isa Yuguda (North-East), Aminu Masari (North-West), Anyim Pius Anyim (South-East), Oladipupo Oyinbande (South-West), and Umar Tanko Al-Makura (North-Central. The appointments were unveiled during the inauguration of RHA committees nationwide.
Soon after, images circulated online showing the distribution of Toyota Hiace Hummer buses, Land Cruiser SUVs, and Hilux trucks branded with the president’s colours and images. This triggered public criticism and renewed allegations of premature campaigning.
Daily Trust contacted Uzodimma’s office for clarification, but his Information Commissioner, Chief Declan Emelumba, referred inquiries to the presidency. Efforts to reach presidential aides Bayo Onanuga and Daniel Bwala were unsuccessful.
The APC, however, rejected accusations of early campaigning, insisting the vehicles were unrelated to the 2027 race and that the RHA’s role was purely promotional regarding government programmes.
But the opposition dismissed the explanation. The ADC, in a strongly worded statement, condemned what it described as an attempt to begin a re-election drive during a national security emergency, calling the move “a cynically insensitive action that makes nonsense of the emergency declaration itself.”
Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, the ADC’s National Publicity Secretary, criticised the administration for distributing “vehicles to campaign agents across the country even as kidnapped citizens languish in captivity and security forces struggle to contain escalating violence and banditry.”
The ADC said the president was “launching his re-election campaign under the guise of Renewed Hope Ambassadors,” accusing him of behaving more like a candidate than a leader confronting nationwide insecurity. The party insisted the move breached electoral laws and contradicted the seriousness of an emergency declaration.
It added that the president’s actions showed that “the president’s declaration of security emergency was a mere gimmick to grab headlines” and argued that early campaign activities proved politics had taken priority over the country’s worsening security situation.
The statement further condemned the “obscene distribution of campaign vehicles” at a time when children remain in captivity and citizens fear for their lives, saying the president must choose between “governance and campaigning.”
Peter Obi offered a similar critique, warning that the decision to procure luxury vehicles—such as Hilux trucks and Hummer buses—amid widespread hardship amounted to a profound moral failure. He argued that leadership should not treat citizens’ suffering as the backdrop to political positioning, calling the situation “a tragic misplacement of priorities that is completely unacceptable.”
He noted that while Nigerians face hunger, school dropouts, deteriorating healthcare, and relentless insecurity, leaders should be directing resources to critical social needs instead of “brand-new Land Cruisers, Hilux and Hummers.”
Obi described the government’s actions as particularly troubling at a time when many families cannot afford school fees, mothers die from lack of medical supplies, and entire communities are under attack.
News
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
The All Progressives Congress on Thursday produced governorship candidates in 25 states ahead of the 2027 general elections, although internal disagreements over consensus arrangements forced the postponement of primaries in Kwara and Bauchi states.
The ruling party also rescheduled the State House of Assembly primaries for Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies in Zamfara State, while delays in the arrival of electoral materials disrupted voting in parts of Nasarawa State.
Among those who emerged as APC governorship candidates were Governors Sheriff Oborevwori in Delta, Peter Mbah in Enugu and Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, who clinched the party’s ticket in Lagos.
Other states where governorship candidates emerged included Oyo, Benue, Sokoto, Gombe, Yobe, Niger, Borno, Ebonyi, Abia, Jigawa, Taraba, Zamfara, Plateau, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Adamawa, Kano and Kaduna.
However, the APC National Working Committee shifted the governorship primaries in Kwara and Bauchi to Friday following consultations with stakeholders.
In a statement issued by APC National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, the party said the postponement was aimed at ensuring a smooth and credible process.
“The All Progressives Congress hereby announces the rescheduling of the governorship primary elections in Bauchi and Kwara States to Friday, May 22, 2026,” the statement read.
“The decision was approved by the National Working Committee following consultations with relevant stakeholders and in furtherance of the party’s commitment to ensuring a transparent, orderly, peaceful and credible primary election process.”
Despite the official explanation, the postponement triggered tension within the party, especially in Kwara and Bauchi where supporters accused powerful interests of attempting to impose preferred candidates.
In Kwara State, political uncertainty deepened around Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s preferred successor, Yahaya Seriki.
Hours after the postponement was announced, eight governorship aspirants reportedly stepped down in support of Seriki after consultations among party leaders.
Those who withdrew included Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe, Prof. Wale Sulaiman, Dr Mohammed Bio, Dr Toyin Alabi and Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu.
Sources within the party said the aspirants agreed to support Seriki “in the interest of unity and continuity.”
In Bauchi State, supporters of governorship aspirant Nura Soro staged protests over alleged plans to manipulate the process.
Director of the Nura Soro Campaign Organisation, Dr Auwal Jada, accused unnamed interests of attempting to alter results.
“This is the way previous primary elections were conducted. Our people are here peacefully to protect electoral materials and ensure transparency,” he stated.
“If it is truly free and fair, there should be no secrecy. Agents of all aspirants should accompany the results from the wards, sign them and accept them before they are taken for final collation.”
Meanwhile, political tensions also surfaced in Rivers State after Governor Siminalayi Fubara reportedly withdrew from the APC governorship race in the interest of “peace and unity.”
The decision sparked outrage among some supporters and political associates, who accused influential figures within the party of sidelining the governor politically.
Despite the controversy, Kingsley Chinda emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Rivers after polling 268,497 votes.
Chairman of the APC Governorship Primary Election Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, declared him winner.
“Ogundu Kingsley, having satisfied the requirements of the APC constitution and guidelines and scored the highest number of votes, is hereby declared the winner,” he stated.
In Delta State, Oborevwori secured the APC governorship ticket after polling 345,375 votes in a peaceful direct primary.
Speaking after the exercise, the governor described the process as transparent and violence-free.
“For the first time in Delta State, our primaries were conducted peacefully without violence, crisis or loss of lives. Nobody imposed candidates on the people. The people freely chose those they wanted,” he said.
In Enugu State, Mbah also emerged victorious as party members turned out across the state’s wards.
“It happened because our people are smart. Our people are wise and they know what is good when they see one,” Mbah stated.
In Lagos, Hamzat defeated Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal after polling 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary conducted across the state’s 245 wards.
In Gombe State, Jamilu Gwamna recorded one of the biggest upsets of the primaries after defeating former ministers Isa Pantami and Said Alkali.
Gwamna polled 247,161 votes while Pantami secured 12,120 votes and Alkali got 11,612 votes.
The APC also confirmed that its presidential primary election will hold nationwide on May 23 through direct voting across the country’s 8,809 wards.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Stanley Osifo are the party’s two presidential aspirants.
News
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu has won the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary in Kwara ahead of the 2027 election.
The Chairman of the Primary Election Committee, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro, announced the result on Friday in Ilorin.
Obanikoro said Danladi-Saliu secured 94,990 votes to defeat nine other aspirants in the contest.
According to him, Amb. Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki came second with 41,700 votes, while Olufemi Sanni polled 5,519 votes.
Dr Yahaya Oloriegbe scored 3,920 votes, while Mohammed Bergore (SAN) secured 3,411 votes.
Mohammed Bio polled 1,122 votes, Dr Alabi Oluwatoyin got 1,099 votes, while Bashiru Bolarinwa secured 22,118 votes.
Prof. Abubakar Suleiman scored 1,722 votes, while Prof. Wale Suleiman polled 2,434 votes.
Obanikoro said the primary, postponed earlier for logistical reasons, witnessed a peaceful turnout by party members across the state.
“In spite of the inconveniences experienced yesterday, members came out today in large numbers to peacefully participate in the exercise.
“This has demonstrated the unity, perseverance and strength of our great party,” Obanikoro added.
He said there was no loser in the contest, describing all aspirants as members of one political family.
“I hereby certify that Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu, having satisfied APC requirements and scored the highest votes, is declared winner,” Obanikoro said.
The Kwara APC Chairman, Prince Sunday Fagbemi, praised members for their orderly conduct during the exercise.
Fagbemi described the successful primary as proof of the party’s readiness for the 2027 general elections. (NAN)
News
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
An Osun State High Court sitting in Ile-Ife on Friday sentenced a 30-year-old man, Agboola Taiwo, to death by hanging for murder.
Taiwo was convicted for killing a 62-year-old woman, Jadesola Olubayo, on Oct. 11, 2023, at a palm oil processing site near the Amula River in Olokemeji Village, Ifetedo, in Ife South Local Government Area.
Delivering judgment, Justice Adedapo Adeniji held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and found the defendant guilty.
The court sentenced the convict to 14 years’ imprisonment for attempted rape (Count I), two years’ imprisonment for indecent assault (Count II), and death by hanging for murder (Count III).
Prosecution counsel, Omotayo Babalola of the Ministry of Justice, told the court that the deceased had gone to the processing site with her granddaughter, Latifat Adeyemo, for palm oil production.
She said the site owner, Ajibade Bashiru, later left them to attend to his nearby farm.
According to the prosecutor, the convict subsequently arrived at the site, stripped himself naked and caused panic.
Babalola said the deceased and her granddaughter tried to flee, but the convict chased and overpowered the elderly woman.
He added that the granddaughter ran to Bashiru’s farm for help, but before they returned, the convict had stripped the deceased and killed her by smashing her face with a stone and a stick.
The prosecutor said the deceased was found in a pool of blood, while the convict fled but was later apprehended near the scene and handed over to the police.
Babalola noted that the offences contravened Sections 319, 359 and 360 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 34, Vol. II, Laws of Osun State, 2002.
Defence counsel, Oluwaseun Akintola-Philip-Idiok and Victoria Ugochi-Layi-Jacob, pleaded for leniency, but the court rejected the plea. (NAN)
-
6 years ago
Our situation in Kano terrible – Gov Ganduje cries out
-
News1 year agoFG pledges commitment to enhance Police officers Welfare, implement Tinubu’s 8-point agenda for NPF
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NSCDC gets approval to commence 2025 recruitment exercise
-
News1 year agoAlleged cocaine deal: Court issues orders in suspended DCP Abba Kyari’s case
-
News1 year agoDPO under investigation for allegedly taking teenage girl to his home while in police custody
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Commissioner of Police bows out of Service
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Police Inspector dies watching Arsenal match
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NLC declare nationwide protest


