Connect with us

Published

on

banner
Supreme Court sits as 16 States  Governors are challenging EFCC’s Establishment Act
The Supreme Court, on Tuesday, fixed Oct. 22 for the hearing of a suit filed by at least 16 state governments challenging the constitutionality of the laws establishing the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and two others.
A seven-member panel of justices, led by Justice Uwani Abba-Aji, fixed the date after the states were joined as co-plaintiffs and leave granted for consolidation of the case in the suit originally filed by the Kogi Government through its Attorney General (AG).
The states that joined in the suit marked: SC/CV/178/2023 include Ondo, Edo, Oyo, Ogun, Nassarawa, Kebbi, Katsina, Sokoto, Jigawa, Enugu, Benue, Anambra, Plateau, Cross-River and Niger.
The 16 states said they are relying on the fact that the constitution is the supreme law and any law that is inconsistent with it is a nullity.
The plaintiffs argued that the Supreme Court, in Dr Joseph Nwobike Vs Federal Republic of Nigeria, had held that it was a UN Convention against corruption that was reduced into the EFCC Establishment Act and that in enacting this law in 2004, the provision of Section 12 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, was not followed.
They argued that, in bringing a convention into the Nigerian law, the provision of Section 12 must be complied with.
According to them, the provision of the Constitution necessitated the majority of the states’ Houses of Assembly agreeing to bringing the convention in before passing the EFCC Act and others, which was allegedly never done.
The argument of the states in their present suit, which they said had been corroborated by the Supreme Court in the previous case mentioned, is that the law, as enacted, could not be applied to states that never approved of it, in accordance with the provisions of the Nigerian constitution.
Hence, they argued that any institution so formed should be regarded as an illegal institution.
When the case was called on Tuesday, lawyers, who represented the states, made their submissions.
While majority sought to be joined as co-plaintiffs, two of the states prayed for an order for consolidation of the case.
Kogi AG’s counsel, Abdulwahab Mohammed, SAN, informed the court that there were states that indicated interest in consolidation of the case and those seeking to be joined as co-plaintiffs.
“It is for this honourable court to tell us how to proceed my lord.
“Out of about 15 states, there are about 13 of them that have indicated interest to be co-plaintiffs and only two want consolidation.
“To make the task of the court easier, those who want to be joined as co-plaintiff should be joined and abide by the processes already filed and those who sought consolidation should be asked to file within seven days,” Mohammed said.
After the lawyers’ submissions, Justice Abba-Aji granted their prayers.
She adjourned the matter until Oct. 22 for hearing.
The Kogi State AG had, in the suit number: SC/CV/178/2023 sued the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) as sole defendant.
In the originating summons filed by a team of lawyers led by Prof .Musa Yakubu, SAN, the state raised six questions for determination and sought nine reliefs.
The Kogi government sought a declaration that the federal government through the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) lacked the power to issue any directive, guideline, advisory or any instrument howsoever called for the administration and management of funds belonging to the state.
The government also sought a declaration that the EFCC,  the NFIU or any agency of the federal government cannot investigate, requisition documents, invite and or arrest anyone with respect to offences arising from or touching on the administration and management of funds belonging to the state.(NAN)
banner
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Police operatives rescue 13 victims kidnapped along Benin-Lagos expressway

Published

on

banner

Police operatives rescue 13 victims kidnapped along Benin-Lagos expressway

The police command in Edo has rescued all 13 passengers abducted by suspected kidnappers along the Benin-Lagos expressway, following a coordinated operation involving aerial surveillance, drones and bush-combing tactics.

Advertisement

The command’s spokesperson, ASP Eno Ikoedem, disclosed this in a statement issued on Saturday in Benin City.

Ikoedem said the passengers were abducted on May 9 at Ogua Community along the Benin-Lagos road when armed hoodlums attacked a commercial bus belonging to Young Shall Grow Motors travelling from Akwa Ibom to Lagos.

Advertisement

According to her, a female passenger sustained gunshot injuries during the attack.

Ikoedem stated that the command immediately launched coordinated rescue and bush-combing operations after the incident.

Advertisement

“Following the incident, the command immediately launched coordinated rescue and bush combing operations, rescuing five passengers comprising two adults and three children, and has remained on the trail of the kidnappers,” she said.

The police spokesperson further disclosed that operatives, through intelligence-driven policing and technological support, engaged the kidnappers in a gun duel on May 10 and rescued two additional victims.

Advertisement

“Through the deployment of drones, aerial surveillance, intelligence-driven policing and sustained technological support, operatives of the command engaged the kidnappers in a gun duel and successfully rescued two additional passengers,” she said.

Ikoedem said the remaining six abducted passengers had now been rescued unhurt.

Advertisement

She quoted the state Commissioner of Police, Monday Agbonika, as commending the courage and resilience of the operatives involved in the operation.

The commissioner, according to her, assured residents that the command remained committed to apprehending the perpetrators.

Advertisement

“The command is not relenting in its efforts as intensive bush combing operations are ongoing to apprehend the perpetrators of this crime,” the commissioner said. (NAN)

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

News

Ganduje’s Son dumps APC, joins Kwankwaso in NDC, to contest House of Reps in Kano

Published

on

banner

AbdulAziz Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, son of former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has entered the race for the House of Representatives seat representing Dawakin Tofa/Tofa/Rimin Gado Federal Constituency in Kano State.

The development is generating fresh political attention in the state amid reports that AbdulAziz has distanced himself politically from his father’s camp and aligned with former Kano State governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.

Advertisement

His decision to contest under Kwankwaso’s political structure is being seen by observers as a major shift in Kano politics, considering the long-standing rivalry between the APC and the Kwankwasiyya movement.

AbdulAziz reportedly purchased the nomination form for the federal constituency seat ahead of the forthcoming elections.

Advertisement

A viral video circulating online also showed him explaining his political mission to Kwankwaso, further fueling speculations about his full integration into the former governor’s political camp.

With the latest move, political analysts believe the contest for the Dawakin Tofa/Tofa/Rimin Gado seat could emerge as one of the fiercest National Assembly battles in Kano State.

Advertisement

AbdulAziz is expected to square off against the APC candidate in a contest already attracting widespread political interest.

The development also comes as the New Democratic Coalition, recently joined by Kwankwaso after his reported defection from the African Democratic Congress, continues to expand its influence across Kano State ahead of the elections.

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

News

You can’t stay within our party and wish us bad luck, APC warns ex-Gov Fayemi over utterances

Published

on

banner

You can’t stay within our party and wish us bad luck, APC warns ex-Gov Fayemi over utterances

The National Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ajibola Basiru, has warned former Ekiti State governor, Kayode Fayemi, against making comments capable of undermining the ruling party, saying the APC may sanction him for alleged anti-party activities.

Advertisement

Basiru’s reaction followed recent remarks by Fayemi during an interview on State Affairs with Edmund Obilo, where the former governor criticised the direction of the APC and warned of possible internal crisis within the party.

In the interview, Fayemi said the ruling party had departed from the ideals upon which it was founded and was gradually losing its ideological focus and internal culture of debate.

Advertisement

“This is not where the party has come from. We have lost our bearing and the vision of the founding fathers of this party,” Fayemi stated.

He also expressed concern over what he described as the growing culture of political endorsements and consensus arrangements within the APC, warning that such developments could create discontent among party members.

Advertisement

“It would be unfortunate if everybody is running to Aso Rock because they want something,” he said.

“Those who don’t get consensus won’t be happy… and you’re waiting for an implosion.”

Advertisement

Responding to the comments, Basiru dismissed Fayemi’s concerns and suggested the former governor should leave the APC if he no longer believes in the party.

“We urge him that since he so much despises the party and wishes the party an implosion, he should go to where whatever he thinks his best ideas can be ventilated,” Basiru told Punch.

Advertisement

“We wish him the best of luck, but he should not stay within our party and be wishing us bad luck. He should go to another political party if he no longer believes in the party he represents.”

The APC national secretary further warned that the party would not ignore statements or actions considered harmful to its political interests.

Advertisement

“Let him go and join another party. If he does not join another party, the APC will not hesitate to invoke disciplinary actions to sanction him for anti-party activities,” he said.

Basiru also linked Fayemi’s remarks to ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general elections, alleging that the former governor had been associating with opposition figures.

Advertisement

“His statement only further confirmed what Mr Rotimi Amaechi said, that he was one of those who agreed to form opposition against the APC,” Basiru said.

“We also have it on good authority that he and some of his followers have been hobnobbing with opposition elements, particularly ahead of the Ekiti governorship election.”

Advertisement

He added that Fayemi’s criticisms were coming at a sensitive period when the APC was preparing for the Ekiti governorship election and conducting party primaries.

“Even at this time that the party is conducting its primaries and making preparations for the all-important Ekiti governorship election, it only shows a design to demarket the party ahead of that election,” Basiru stated.

Advertisement
banner
Continue Reading

Trending

© 2025, All Rights Reserved | Crime Channels