Our partnership with Nigerian Govt, NDLEA on drug war yielding results UK Govt
Our partnership with Nigerian Govt, NDLEA on drug war yielding results UK Govt
The United Kingdom Government, through its Home Office International Operations (HOIO) says its collaboration with Nigeria on the fight against substance abuse and illicit drug trafficking is yielding positive results.
Head of UK Home Office International Operations, Victoria Pullen stated this when she led her colleague, Kristoffer Hawksfield on a visit to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), headquarters, in Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the meeting was held in order to sign a renewed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between HOIO and NDLEA.
Speaking during the visit, Pullen said:”results are as evident by the streak of successes being recorded by the NDLEA, in recent times”.
She thanked the NDLEA Chairman , retired Brig.-Gen. Buba Marwa for an “excellent cooperation”,
Pullen said “the issue of drug trafficking is a huge global issue, and like many big challenges such as drug trafficking, it takes a huge global effort to try and counter that.
“I think it’s evident by some of the recent successes and the volume of some of the illicit commodities that your teams are finding that.
“That cooperation is working exceptionally well currently, and we are currently really enjoying working with your team on those successes.
“The willingness of your teams to work with us and do things differently and try things differently, which fortunately is leading to those successes, and we like the way that you’ve worked with the UK and the levels of engagement that we’ve enjoyed with the teams,”she said.
Pullen said that the commissioning of the NDLEA Marine Command Headquarters built and donated by the UK government in Lagos on Wednesday Oct. 16 was a significant marker in the cooperation between the Agency and HOIO.
“We look forward to seeing the results of that level of investment that will bring significant benefits to you in Nigeria by being able to stop those drugs from permeating your own society.
“Also, in the global space because the more that we help you to interdict and take out of the system here, the less that’s going into countries around the world and into society.
“Our team has got nothing but, very positive things to say about the relationship that we have with you and your teams.
“We look forward to the future and building on those and making them a lot better”, she added.
In his response, Marwa expressed appreciation to the UK government for supporting Nigeria’s efforts to curb the scourge of illicit drug trafficking.
This, he said was especially with the building and donation of Marine Headquarters facility to the Agency and a similar operational facility at the MMIA Command in Ikeja Lagos last year.
“I am most delighted to meet Ms. Victoria Pullen in person, as it gives me the opportunity to express profound gratitude on behalf of myself, the agency and the country for the tremendous assistance.
“This includes both tangible and intangible support, that we have received from the Home Office International Operations (HOIO), in particular, and the British Government in general.
“Just last week, we commissioned the Marine Command Headquarters of NDLEA, built from scratch and donated by the Home Office International Operations.
“We have also received in the past a new CITF facility at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, also from the Home Office International Operations.
These are in addition to others like training and intelligence that are vital to our counter-narcotics operations.
“Since we kicked off the reform of NDLEA three years ago, we have enjoyed an increasing partnership with the Home Office International Operations.
“Among our international partners the Home Office International Operations is one of our major partners whose contributions immeasurably enhance the capacity of NDLEA and invariably impact our performance positively”, he emphasised.
Marwa, who asked for more support from the UK government said “we continue to seek more of your assistance in our quest to combat illicit drug trafficking on our shores.
“We’ll also contribute to our common goal in fighting the activities of transnational criminal organisations.
“The new refreshed MOU, which we are about to sign after the remarks, is a testament to our strong partnership, and we are looking forward to boosting our existing relationship to help us achieve our common and shared responsibility of tackling the drug problem.
“Now, the NDLEA in the last three years or so has made tremendous impacts, and I must say that instrumental to that is the support from the UK.
“We have made, in three years, over 52,000 arrests. We have made seizures of over 8,000 tons of illicit substances, and convictions in excess of 9,000.
“That’s a very significant success in court. Given the volume of traffic of travellers between the UK and Nigeria, there is a need for sharing of intelligence and actionable data further collaboration in that respect will further strengthen our relationship.
“So, I excited that we’re signing a new MoU here today,”he maintained.(NAN)
News
Police operatives rescue 13 victims kidnapped along Benin-Lagos expressway
Police operatives rescue 13 victims kidnapped along Benin-Lagos expressway
The police command in Edo has rescued all 13 passengers abducted by suspected kidnappers along the Benin-Lagos expressway, following a coordinated operation involving aerial surveillance, drones and bush-combing tactics.
The command’s spokesperson, ASP Eno Ikoedem, disclosed this in a statement issued on Saturday in Benin City.
Ikoedem said the passengers were abducted on May 9 at Ogua Community along the Benin-Lagos road when armed hoodlums attacked a commercial bus belonging to Young Shall Grow Motors travelling from Akwa Ibom to Lagos.
According to her, a female passenger sustained gunshot injuries during the attack.
Ikoedem stated that the command immediately launched coordinated rescue and bush-combing operations after the incident.
“Following the incident, the command immediately launched coordinated rescue and bush combing operations, rescuing five passengers comprising two adults and three children, and has remained on the trail of the kidnappers,” she said.
The police spokesperson further disclosed that operatives, through intelligence-driven policing and technological support, engaged the kidnappers in a gun duel on May 10 and rescued two additional victims.
“Through the deployment of drones, aerial surveillance, intelligence-driven policing and sustained technological support, operatives of the command engaged the kidnappers in a gun duel and successfully rescued two additional passengers,” she said.
Ikoedem said the remaining six abducted passengers had now been rescued unhurt.
She quoted the state Commissioner of Police, Monday Agbonika, as commending the courage and resilience of the operatives involved in the operation.
The commissioner, according to her, assured residents that the command remained committed to apprehending the perpetrators.
“The command is not relenting in its efforts as intensive bush combing operations are ongoing to apprehend the perpetrators of this crime,” the commissioner said. (NAN)
News
Ganduje’s Son dumps APC, joins Kwankwaso in NDC, to contest House of Reps in Kano
AbdulAziz Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, son of former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has entered the race for the House of Representatives seat representing Dawakin Tofa/Tofa/Rimin Gado Federal Constituency in Kano State.
The development is generating fresh political attention in the state amid reports that AbdulAziz has distanced himself politically from his father’s camp and aligned with former Kano State governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.
His decision to contest under Kwankwaso’s political structure is being seen by observers as a major shift in Kano politics, considering the long-standing rivalry between the APC and the Kwankwasiyya movement.
AbdulAziz reportedly purchased the nomination form for the federal constituency seat ahead of the forthcoming elections.
A viral video circulating online also showed him explaining his political mission to Kwankwaso, further fueling speculations about his full integration into the former governor’s political camp.
With the latest move, political analysts believe the contest for the Dawakin Tofa/Tofa/Rimin Gado seat could emerge as one of the fiercest National Assembly battles in Kano State.
AbdulAziz is expected to square off against the APC candidate in a contest already attracting widespread political interest.
The development also comes as the New Democratic Coalition, recently joined by Kwankwaso after his reported defection from the African Democratic Congress, continues to expand its influence across Kano State ahead of the elections.
News
You can’t stay within our party and wish us bad luck, APC warns ex-Gov Fayemi over utterances
You can’t stay within our party and wish us bad luck, APC warns ex-Gov Fayemi over utterances
The National Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ajibola Basiru, has warned former Ekiti State governor, Kayode Fayemi, against making comments capable of undermining the ruling party, saying the APC may sanction him for alleged anti-party activities.
Basiru’s reaction followed recent remarks by Fayemi during an interview on State Affairs with Edmund Obilo, where the former governor criticised the direction of the APC and warned of possible internal crisis within the party.
In the interview, Fayemi said the ruling party had departed from the ideals upon which it was founded and was gradually losing its ideological focus and internal culture of debate.
“This is not where the party has come from. We have lost our bearing and the vision of the founding fathers of this party,” Fayemi stated.
He also expressed concern over what he described as the growing culture of political endorsements and consensus arrangements within the APC, warning that such developments could create discontent among party members.
“It would be unfortunate if everybody is running to Aso Rock because they want something,” he said.
“Those who don’t get consensus won’t be happy… and you’re waiting for an implosion.”
Responding to the comments, Basiru dismissed Fayemi’s concerns and suggested the former governor should leave the APC if he no longer believes in the party.
“We urge him that since he so much despises the party and wishes the party an implosion, he should go to where whatever he thinks his best ideas can be ventilated,” Basiru told Punch.
“We wish him the best of luck, but he should not stay within our party and be wishing us bad luck. He should go to another political party if he no longer believes in the party he represents.”
The APC national secretary further warned that the party would not ignore statements or actions considered harmful to its political interests.
“Let him go and join another party. If he does not join another party, the APC will not hesitate to invoke disciplinary actions to sanction him for anti-party activities,” he said.
Basiru also linked Fayemi’s remarks to ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general elections, alleging that the former governor had been associating with opposition figures.
“His statement only further confirmed what Mr Rotimi Amaechi said, that he was one of those who agreed to form opposition against the APC,” Basiru said.
“We also have it on good authority that he and some of his followers have been hobnobbing with opposition elements, particularly ahead of the Ekiti governorship election.”
He added that Fayemi’s criticisms were coming at a sensitive period when the APC was preparing for the Ekiti governorship election and conducting party primaries.
“Even at this time that the party is conducting its primaries and making preparations for the all-important Ekiti governorship election, it only shows a design to demarket the party ahead of that election,” Basiru stated.
-
6 years ago
Our situation in Kano terrible – Gov Ganduje cries out
-
News1 year agoFG pledges commitment to enhance Police officers Welfare, implement Tinubu’s 8-point agenda for NPF
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NSCDC gets approval to commence 2025 recruitment exercise
-
News1 year agoAlleged cocaine deal: Court issues orders in suspended DCP Abba Kyari’s case
-
News1 year agoDPO under investigation for allegedly taking teenage girl to his home while in police custody
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Commissioner of Police bows out of Service
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Police Inspector dies watching Arsenal match
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NLC declare nationwide protest


