Governor Yusuf praises President Tinubu, DSS chief over security gains in Kano
Governor Yusuf praises President Tinubu, DSS chief over security gains in Kano
Kano State governor, Abba Yusuf, has praised President Bola Tinubu for appointing Adeola Ajayi as Director-General, Department of State Services (DSS).
The governor spoke on Thursday during the 20th North-West Zonal Directors Conference organised by the Department of State Services, Kano command.
He commended the President and the DSS chief for efforts aimed at tackling insecurity across the country.
“The President made the right choice in appointing him. His contributions to national security remain commendable.
“Since assuming office, the DG has worked tirelessly to protect lives and property across the country.
“He has also strengthened cooperation among security agencies and promoted harmony among Nigerians
“We remain grateful and urge him to sustain the momentum in restoring peace across Nigeria,” the governor said.
Yusuf also acknowledged federal support under President Tinubu’s leadership, describing it as vital to Nigeria’s security architecture.
“Kano remains relatively peaceful, but we are not immune to security threats confronting other parts of the country,” he said.
He listed banditry, farmers-herders conflicts, cyberbullying, stalking, and street violence among emerging threats confronting the state.
The governor praised the Kano DSS command for its proactive response and collaboration with sister agencies.
He said the partnership had strengthened public safety and supported socio-economic development across the state.
“Kano, as a populous and cosmopolitan state, has always placed security at the centre of governance.
“We recognise that insecurity in neighbouring states inevitably affects our people and our economy,” the governor said.
He cited the recent abduction of a local government secretary in Kibiya as evidence of cross-border criminal threats.
According to him, intelligence-led operations by security agencies led to the victim’s rescue and the arrest of suspects.
“I have no doubt that our security and intelligence agencies deserve absolute commendation,” he said.
Yusuf reiterated his administration’s commitment to peace, security, and public service through sustained investment in the sector.
“We have upgraded security equipment previously procured for the DSS in recognition of the command’s outstanding efforts,” he said.
He added that interceptions of arms and ammunition had helped curb violent criminal activities.
“We will continue, by the grace of Allah, to support all security agencies with logistics and equipment,” Yusuf said.
Earlier, Abubakar Hussaini, Director, DSS Kano State command, stressed the need for stronger inter-agency cooperation.
He identified arms trafficking, cybercrime, illegal mining, sabotage, and hate campaigns as major threats to national unity.
Hussaini called for prompt and decisive action against prevailing and emerging security challenges across the country. (NAN)
News
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
JUST IN; APC announces Governorship candidates in 25 States
The All Progressives Congress on Thursday produced governorship candidates in 25 states ahead of the 2027 general elections, although internal disagreements over consensus arrangements forced the postponement of primaries in Kwara and Bauchi states.
The ruling party also rescheduled the State House of Assembly primaries for Maradun I and Maradun II constituencies in Zamfara State, while delays in the arrival of electoral materials disrupted voting in parts of Nasarawa State.
Among those who emerged as APC governorship candidates were Governors Sheriff Oborevwori in Delta, Peter Mbah in Enugu and Lagos State Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, who clinched the party’s ticket in Lagos.
Other states where governorship candidates emerged included Oyo, Benue, Sokoto, Gombe, Yobe, Niger, Borno, Ebonyi, Abia, Jigawa, Taraba, Zamfara, Plateau, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Adamawa, Kano and Kaduna.
However, the APC National Working Committee shifted the governorship primaries in Kwara and Bauchi to Friday following consultations with stakeholders.
In a statement issued by APC National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, the party said the postponement was aimed at ensuring a smooth and credible process.
“The All Progressives Congress hereby announces the rescheduling of the governorship primary elections in Bauchi and Kwara States to Friday, May 22, 2026,” the statement read.
“The decision was approved by the National Working Committee following consultations with relevant stakeholders and in furtherance of the party’s commitment to ensuring a transparent, orderly, peaceful and credible primary election process.”
Despite the official explanation, the postponement triggered tension within the party, especially in Kwara and Bauchi where supporters accused powerful interests of attempting to impose preferred candidates.
In Kwara State, political uncertainty deepened around Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s preferred successor, Yahaya Seriki.
Hours after the postponement was announced, eight governorship aspirants reportedly stepped down in support of Seriki after consultations among party leaders.
Those who withdrew included Senator Ibrahim Oloriegbe, Prof. Wale Sulaiman, Dr Mohammed Bio, Dr Toyin Alabi and Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu.
Sources within the party said the aspirants agreed to support Seriki “in the interest of unity and continuity.”
In Bauchi State, supporters of governorship aspirant Nura Soro staged protests over alleged plans to manipulate the process.
Director of the Nura Soro Campaign Organisation, Dr Auwal Jada, accused unnamed interests of attempting to alter results.
“This is the way previous primary elections were conducted. Our people are here peacefully to protect electoral materials and ensure transparency,” he stated.
“If it is truly free and fair, there should be no secrecy. Agents of all aspirants should accompany the results from the wards, sign them and accept them before they are taken for final collation.”
Meanwhile, political tensions also surfaced in Rivers State after Governor Siminalayi Fubara reportedly withdrew from the APC governorship race in the interest of “peace and unity.”
The decision sparked outrage among some supporters and political associates, who accused influential figures within the party of sidelining the governor politically.
Despite the controversy, Kingsley Chinda emerged as the APC governorship candidate in Rivers after polling 268,497 votes.
Chairman of the APC Governorship Primary Election Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, declared him winner.
“Ogundu Kingsley, having satisfied the requirements of the APC constitution and guidelines and scored the highest number of votes, is hereby declared the winner,” he stated.
In Delta State, Oborevwori secured the APC governorship ticket after polling 345,375 votes in a peaceful direct primary.
Speaking after the exercise, the governor described the process as transparent and violence-free.
“For the first time in Delta State, our primaries were conducted peacefully without violence, crisis or loss of lives. Nobody imposed candidates on the people. The people freely chose those they wanted,” he said.
In Enugu State, Mbah also emerged victorious as party members turned out across the state’s wards.
“It happened because our people are smart. Our people are wise and they know what is good when they see one,” Mbah stated.
In Lagos, Hamzat defeated Olanrewaju Jim-Kamal after polling 657,917 votes in the APC governorship primary conducted across the state’s 245 wards.
In Gombe State, Jamilu Gwamna recorded one of the biggest upsets of the primaries after defeating former ministers Isa Pantami and Said Alkali.
Gwamna polled 247,161 votes while Pantami secured 12,120 votes and Alkali got 11,612 votes.
The APC also confirmed that its presidential primary election will hold nationwide on May 23 through direct voting across the country’s 8,809 wards.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Stanley Osifo are the party’s two presidential aspirants.
News
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
BREAKING; APC Governorship Candidate for Kwara State finally emerges
Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu has won the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary in Kwara ahead of the 2027 election.
The Chairman of the Primary Election Committee, Sen. Musiliu Obanikoro, announced the result on Friday in Ilorin.
Obanikoro said Danladi-Saliu secured 94,990 votes to defeat nine other aspirants in the contest.
According to him, Amb. Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki came second with 41,700 votes, while Olufemi Sanni polled 5,519 votes.
Dr Yahaya Oloriegbe scored 3,920 votes, while Mohammed Bergore (SAN) secured 3,411 votes.
Mohammed Bio polled 1,122 votes, Dr Alabi Oluwatoyin got 1,099 votes, while Bashiru Bolarinwa secured 22,118 votes.
Prof. Abubakar Suleiman scored 1,722 votes, while Prof. Wale Suleiman polled 2,434 votes.
Obanikoro said the primary, postponed earlier for logistical reasons, witnessed a peaceful turnout by party members across the state.
“In spite of the inconveniences experienced yesterday, members came out today in large numbers to peacefully participate in the exercise.
“This has demonstrated the unity, perseverance and strength of our great party,” Obanikoro added.
He said there was no loser in the contest, describing all aspirants as members of one political family.
“I hereby certify that Mr Yakubu Danladi-Saliu, having satisfied APC requirements and scored the highest votes, is declared winner,” Obanikoro said.
The Kwara APC Chairman, Prince Sunday Fagbemi, praised members for their orderly conduct during the exercise.
Fagbemi described the successful primary as proof of the party’s readiness for the 2027 general elections. (NAN)
News
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
JUST IN; Court sentences man to death by hanging for murder
An Osun State High Court sitting in Ile-Ife on Friday sentenced a 30-year-old man, Agboola Taiwo, to death by hanging for murder.
Taiwo was convicted for killing a 62-year-old woman, Jadesola Olubayo, on Oct. 11, 2023, at a palm oil processing site near the Amula River in Olokemeji Village, Ifetedo, in Ife South Local Government Area.
Delivering judgment, Justice Adedapo Adeniji held that the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and found the defendant guilty.
The court sentenced the convict to 14 years’ imprisonment for attempted rape (Count I), two years’ imprisonment for indecent assault (Count II), and death by hanging for murder (Count III).
Prosecution counsel, Omotayo Babalola of the Ministry of Justice, told the court that the deceased had gone to the processing site with her granddaughter, Latifat Adeyemo, for palm oil production.
She said the site owner, Ajibade Bashiru, later left them to attend to his nearby farm.
According to the prosecutor, the convict subsequently arrived at the site, stripped himself naked and caused panic.
Babalola said the deceased and her granddaughter tried to flee, but the convict chased and overpowered the elderly woman.
He added that the granddaughter ran to Bashiru’s farm for help, but before they returned, the convict had stripped the deceased and killed her by smashing her face with a stone and a stick.
The prosecutor said the deceased was found in a pool of blood, while the convict fled but was later apprehended near the scene and handed over to the police.
Babalola noted that the offences contravened Sections 319, 359 and 360 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 34, Vol. II, Laws of Osun State, 2002.
Defence counsel, Oluwaseun Akintola-Philip-Idiok and Victoria Ugochi-Layi-Jacob, pleaded for leniency, but the court rejected the plea. (NAN)
-
6 years ago
Our situation in Kano terrible – Gov Ganduje cries out
-
News1 year agoFG pledges commitment to enhance Police officers Welfare, implement Tinubu’s 8-point agenda for NPF
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NSCDC gets approval to commence 2025 recruitment exercise
-
News1 year agoAlleged cocaine deal: Court issues orders in suspended DCP Abba Kyari’s case
-
News1 year agoDPO under investigation for allegedly taking teenage girl to his home while in police custody
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Commissioner of Police bows out of Service
-
News1 year agoJUST IN; Police Inspector dies watching Arsenal match
-
News1 year agoBREAKING; NLC declare nationwide protest


